We can't believe Josh is 3 months old today!! He doesn't have a 3 month checkup, so we don't have any stats to share. He has been gaining weight really fast and outgrowing some of his 3 month clothes already! His head control and eye contact are both really good, and recently he has started grabbing things. He loves to play with burp clothes or my nursing cover when he is supposed to be eating :-)
Josh has had some bad cradle cap on his head and face since his 2 month checkup, the Doctor had told us to use a bit of cortisone cream on his face if it didn't clear up in a few weeks. We started that about 2 weeks ago, and first his skin got much better, but then it started looking even worse. Last Thursday Julian mentioned that Josh's face felt worse (the skin was very dry), but we keep the lights dim until Josh is awake for good so he didn't get a good look at it before leaving. He was also having trouble sleeping and was very fussy when nursing, and just seemed a bit uncomfortable. When I turned on the lights I agreed that it looked really bad and decided to call the doctor. The nurse recommended that we come in and get it checked out to make sure that there wasn't an infection, we were going away for the weekend so I was really happy they were able to see us quickly. The doctor said it was eczema that might have gotten irritated and a bit infected and prescribed an antibiotic lotion and higher dose of cortisone cream for his face. His face started looking much better after only one day of using the creams, and Josh has been much happier! Josh has a bit of dry skin/eczema on his arms and back and the doctor recommended we use lotion. Does anyone out there have a kind they would recommend? We started with Aquaphor, but it doesn't seem to be helping much...

So I have very bad dry skin on my hands, as you know, and this year I discovered this stuff - http://www.amazon.com/Neutrogena-Norwegian-Formula-Cream-Fragrance-Free/dp/B005CPZFWQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365438553&sr=8-1&keywords=neutrogena+hand+cream - and it's pretty awesome. It helps my hands pretty much instantly and is completely non-irritating (most creams and lotions sting me a lot). It's more gel than cream, and you can get sample sizes of it at Target to test it out. I have no idea if it's good for babies or anything, but it was unclear from your question if you were looking for baby specific lotion. The Burts Bees almond milk hand cream is also nice. (They have what seems to be a baby version - http://www.amazon.com/Burts-Bees-Baby-Cream-2-Ounce/dp/B002DMK0JY/ref=sr_1_13?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1365438672&sr=1-13&keywords=burts+bees+baby)
ReplyDeleteIt was unclear if we were to stick to baby lotions or not...I figured I'd start with them and if it didn't work move on to stronger lotions. I might consider getting some of that hand lotion for me though!
DeleteAquaphor in the tub!! Dont do the pump... it works wonders for the little ones dry skin.
ReplyDeleteWe have some in the tub! That will be next on our list :-)
DeleteWe were using Aveeno for M, but she started having patched of dry skin lately so we switched to Eucerin. The Eucerin seems to be working. A friend whose daughter had some skin troubles swore by Aveeno Oatmeal baths. Did the doctor mention anything about changing your diet to clear up J's eczema? Another friend had to drastically modify her diet to try to deal with her daughter's eczema while breastfeeding.
ReplyDeleteI think I will look into those Oatmeal baths! The doctor didn't mention changing my diet. He asked if allergies or asthma ran in the family (Julian had asthma as a baby and his sister had eczema), so I think he figured that was what the problem was and not something I was eating. I was googling about it, and it seems like dairy is often the problem, and I've already cut out most dairy to try and reduce fussiness. If it doesn't clear up by our 4 month check up I'll ask about it then!
DeleteEucerin or Aquaphor are the ones that I've seen recommended in the office. Its also best to apply immediately after his bath (within minutes) so that its absorbed best. Keeping in mind that this won't necessarily be a quick fix but it will most likely work.
ReplyDeleteI second the recommendations for Eucerin. Jack has had problems with eczema too (and cradle cap). I started putting Eucerin on his back twice a day and it really cleared it up.
ReplyDeleteL'occitane carries "Mom & Baby" balms and lotions which are really gentle and soothing. They also carry organic pure shea butter.
ReplyDelete