Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Welcome to the world Sam!

Some of you have heard the story or part of it, but here is the adventure that led us to Sam's birth.  Not exactly how we planned it, but the result is great!  Because we were both a part of it and want to share our side of the story, here it is with Margaret's point of view in blue and Julian's point of view in red.  

For the entire week Sam was due I was having contractions everyday. They would get closer together or slightly stronger, but nothing like the true labor contractions with Josh. We went to bed a few nights thinking for sure I would wake up in labor but it never happened.

I had contractions all day Friday (my due date), but they never got stronger or progressed. I complained to everyone that would listen that I was grumpy and still pregnant. I headed to bed on Friday night a little after 11 pm. I started noticing much stronger contractions at around 11:30 and thought this might be it. We waited a bit to call Julian's dad and the doula because we wanted to see if there was a pattern to the contractions and to be sure this wasn't a false alarm. At 12:20 we decided that this was it. Julian called his dad and I texted the doula. 

We had asked my dad to watch Josh while Margaret was in labor but we didn't want to call him too early.  He lives 30 minutes away and we didn't want him to come over for a false alarm in the middle of the night. In hindsight we probably should have called earlier...

I then headed to the bath tub to better manage the contractions. We talked to my midwife and she said to call back when our child care arrived and we would decide when I should come in.

By 1 am Julian's dad arrived and the midwife told us that we should head to the hospital based on how close my contractions were. I started getting dressed and ready to go, but the contractions were very hard to manage. Julian had to really help me through each of them. I thought for sure that I would be getting an epidural ASAP. The doula arrived and helped me through a few contractions while Julian let her know how things were. My water broke after one or two contractions and our doula told us we needed to really hurry now. She helped me change quickly and we were out the door. 

I could sense from the doula that we really needed to leave - I didn't even tie my shoes racing out the door.

I couldn't sit in the car so I kneeled backward in the front seat.  We had 2 carseats in the back. Less than a mile from our house I had a feeling we weren't going to make it.... Julian didn't fully believe me and we kept going.

Maybe I was just hopeful we would make it.  I couldn't believe we would be those people who don't make it to the hospital...

I felt an intense urge to push with each contraction. By the time we were on 270 Julian was giving me time updates and telling me to not push, while I could do very little to stop things. 

"Only 5 more minutes!"

I could feel the head starting to crown, but at the end of a contraction the baby would be still inside. When we finally got off 270 I told Julian that the baby was coming out and he had to stop. 

"Crap crap crap crap"

He stopped and our doula came running just in time to see the baby starting to come out. She told Julian to call 911 and one push later the baby was out and she caught him. Sam didn't cry right away, so she massaged his chest and got him to cry. 

"Breathe... breathe... breathe...."

The 911 dispatcher was talking to Julian and telling him what to do. They had him find a string (his shoelace) to tie off the umbilical cord. 

Good thing I didn't tie my shoes!

Julian and the doula then focused on trying to keep me and Sam warm. The ambulance arrived a few minutes later and took over. They cut the cord to get me out of the car, and Sam and I rode in the ambulance and got checked out. The EMT that took Sam commented that he was big and he thought he was 9lbs. I told him no way--clearly I was wrong!  Julian and the doula followed and met us at the ER. I'm really not sure how Julian managed to keep it together and drive to the hospital! (Or how he managed to drive with me in labor next to him).

The EMT asked if I was ok to drive - I knew my adrenaline was pumping and I felt fine so I told him I was ok and would freak out in an hour or two.

When we got to the hospital the midwife sort of laughed, because she figured something like this must have happened since we were very late getting to the hospital. She asked if we were in the grey SUV because she passed one on her way to the hospital. She said she considered stopping. She did a great job taking care of me and fortunately I didn't deliver the placenta until the hospital. The doula stayed with us while they checked us all out. Sam weighed in at 9lbs 2oz and 21 inches long.

We had been on the fence about hiring a doula and we are SO glad we did. I don't know what we would have done without her!! Even once the baby was out it was so nice having someone helping me so that Julian could stay with Sam while he was checked out.

Money well spent!

We are all recovering well and fortunately Ellie's pants and a towel we had took most of the brunt of the damage, so we think the car will recover. We are so thankful for our doula and the speedy EMTs!! (And dark leather interior!). But most of all I am thankful that Sam is healthy and recovering so well!

My active labor with Josh was about 16 hrs. I labored at home for about 4 hours and showed up at the hospital at only 2cm. Everyone says your second labor is faster, and most people say it is about half as long. I was expecting about 8 hours of active labor. So start to finish of a little over 2 hrs was a pretty big shock....whoops! I never in a million years would have guessed my labor would be that fast!

Overall neither of my births were at all what I expected. Both were surprising and perfect in their own ways. :-)

Special thanks to Julian's dad for watching Josh while we were in the hospital and thanks to Heather for helping out with Josh as well - we couldn't have done it without you!


Smile from the delivery room!

Welcome Sam!
Proud Daddy

Josh meeting his baby brother

Josh sharing a cookie with Sam

Family of 4!

The Werfel men

Josh on the left, Sam on the right

7 comments:

  1. yay!! great story! great pix! can't wait to meet Sam! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful story. So glad the world has more love in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But who will play you in the TV movie??? Hehe awesome delivery! Glad everyone is doing well and I hope Julian had a drink! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that's me, Jan Hoffman - I didn't realize it wouldn't have my name! Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my god! This is crazy! You guys are warriors now haha. Can't wait to meet Sam! And amazing Josh-Sam pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blessings to all of you! Great story!

    ReplyDelete