I first tried to contact some of the "official" donation websites, but since I had been taking pre-natal vitamins I did not qualify to donate milk (seriously!?!). It turns out because the milk at milk banks goes to very very premature babies they can't have any additional vitamins in the milk. I turned to a breastfeeding Mom's group that I am in on Facebook and asked for suggestions. A friend sent my contact information to a woman looking for donor milk for her son. This woman's son was born at 27 weeks and she was trying to finish his first year still on breast milk (her son was born a few weeks later than Josh). She and her family relocated to DC temporarily after her husband was injured in Afghanistan so that he could be treated at Navy Med.
I ended up having pretty much exactly as much milk as they needed while they were in the DC area, and a cooler full to take home with them. I wish I had taken a picture of my freezer filled to the brim with milk, but I'm sure that a photo couldn't really capture how much effort went into it. It felt really good to be giving my milk to someone who really needed it, and helping out a family that has already given so much.
![]() |
| (Stolen from Hana) |

There is no finer investment for any community than putting milk into babies.
ReplyDelete-- Winston Churchill