Friday, May 16, 2014

Going Away

Since the day Josh was born, I had seen him every day of his life.  Not always in the morning when he woke up, or in the evening when he went to bed, but everyday I had seen him.  So when the idea of me going away for a business trip came up, I had a lot of mixed emotions and things to consider.  Margaret had gone away for a few weekend trips for skating and I took care of Josh while she was gone.  I knew how hard it was to be a "single" parent just for a weekend so I was very concerned about leaving Margaret home with Josh for almost two weeks.

We considered many options including Margaret and Josh coming on the trip but in the end we decided I would go alone.  Margaret was extremely supportive the entire time and never made me feel bad about leaving her to deal with our little trouble maker.  We talked to friends and family to help out while I was gone to ensure Margaret wouldn't have to do everything on her own.  Margaret's biggest concern while I was gone was taking our cat Jeter to the vet (she goes weekly for fluids).  Thankfully my dad was willing to take care of that chore.

Leaving was difficult for me, I was worried Josh would not remember who I was when I got back (I figured Margaret would probably still remember me).  I don't think Josh really understood what was going on so that also made me feel bad.  While I was gone Margaret sent me lots of pictures and videos of Josh and kept me up to date of what they were doing.  We Skyped several times and Josh always seemed happy to see me.  I sent Margaret a video message of me talking to Josh which she played for him.  Going away was difficult but we were able to stay in enough contact so I never felt too far away.

When I got home Josh was already asleep.  I was very excited to see how he would react to me being home.  When he woke up in the morning I went to get him.  He looked at me but didn't really react.  I wasn't sure if he didn't know who I was or if he didn't realize I was gone for a while.  In either case he didn't have any trouble spending time with me.

Josh did make a few advancements while I was gone.  He no longer throws his food on the floor.  When he would do it we would take away his food and he seems to have gotten the message.  He also will push you in the direction he wants to you to go.  He gives hugs now when asked (sometimes).  I can tell he understands more and more.  He's growing up so fast and I'm very glad to be home to see it all.

Special thanks to my parents, Ellie, Mark and Heather for helping out while I was gone. And of course I am thankful for Margaret for making the trip possible!



Josh reading to himself while I was gone

Tel Aviv

Amman

Amman (that is not my hotel)

Amman from my hotel


No comments:

Post a Comment