Friday, May 22, 2015

Big boy growing up

With the focus being on Sam and Josh having less frequent doctors appointments we haven't done a general Josh update in a little bit, so here it is.  Josh is growing up so much and becoming such a big boy.  It really is a bit strange to look at Sam and Josh since they are so different in terms of development at this point.  It just makes Josh seem so much bigger.

Josh's communication skills continue to get better.  He mostly speaks in complete sentences and has a very large vocabulary.  Almost every day he says something that we didn't know he knew about.  When you ask him a question he knows how to respond and he uses the proper pro-nouns and sometimes the proper tense.

Josh continues to learn more at daycare.  He can count to 12 (he seems to skip 13 for some reason).  He knows most of the alphabet (he skips a few letters in the middle) but I don't really think he understands the alphabet at this point.  He is learning how to draw letters at daycare and they are looking pretty good.  The other day on the way home he just started yelling out "two-thousand fifteen" and we always talk about what day of the week it is.  If you do an event with him he will remember it and talk about it months later.  He likes to remember that I broke the drill when putting up some shelves (in reality I broke the drill bit, not the drill).  If you tell him something will happen on Saturday, he will hold you to it and ask about it on Saturday.

He is still extremely active and always moving.  I have no idea where he gets his energy from but if we could harness it we might solve energy independence!  He loves to play at the playground and run around outside.  On occasion I pick Josh up from daycare before he has gone to the playground and that makes a very unhappy Josh.

Josh has been forward facing in the car for a few months now and he loves to point out when we see a bus or truck.  Sometimes I don't put on my seat belt immediately when I get in the car and he tells me "want daddy put on seat belt!" or the more forceful, "daddy, put on seat belt!"  He knows you have to stop on red and can go on green.

We are squarely in the terrible twos at this point and Josh isn't an exception.  When he doesn't get what he wants he often loses it and screams.  We've done our best to not positively reinforce his bad behavior and to ensure we explain why he can't have something he wants.  Josh was being difficult before bed but we think it was partially due to him not understanding what it means to be a big brother.  Once I told him I was a big brother and so are many people around him he seemed much happier and not as concerned.

Josh seems to be very happy with Sam and not jealous at this point.  Josh likes to lie on the floor with Sam and helps to rock Sam in the Rock and Play when Sam is being fussy.

We are still getting used to our bigger family but it's fun to see how our two boys are growing up!



Building with blocks

Hanging out on the floor

No comments:

Post a Comment